Research & Development (R&D) Engineering Manager Job Summary:
The R&D Engineering Manager works to develop and evaluate new methods, materials, or production processes for products or applications. The R&D Engineering Manager oversees and coordinates the daily operations of highly skilled engineering staff while ensuring that company objectives and goals are met. The R&D Engineering Manager plans, directs, and coordinates all activities of the INTERNAL engineering department with external resources.
- Recruits, interviews, hires, and trains new engineering staff.
- Oversees the daily workflow of the department.
- Provides constructive and timely performance evaluations.
- Handles discipline and termination of employees in accordance with company policy.
- Leads and coordinates various engineering functions to support existing products and research and development of new products.
- Facilitates communication among clients/customers and engineers, ensuring specifications, budgets, and deadlines are clearly communicated and understood.
- Collaborates with a team to investigate, research, and/or develop solutions for a problem or project.
- Serves as project manager for multiple projects, creating timelines and cost projections, organizing collaborative meetings, and ensuring projects comply with specifications, timelines, and budgets.
- Reviews work and projects for technical accuracy.
- Participates in the research process from problem identification through final testing for products or processes.
- Proposes, tests revises, and implements processes and/or corrective actions to resolve or meet the problem or need.
- Interprets data gathered from test results and makes appropriate recommendations.
- Collaborates with other managers and leadership to set and assess priorities across teams.
- Assesses cost-effectiveness and feasibility of manufacturing processes; makes and implements recommendations to reduce costs and improve efficiency.
- Supervises tooling operations, ensuring all work is performed accurately and according to quality and safety standards.
- Establishes, implements, and maintains administrative policies, procedures, and standards.
- Maintains knowledge of new trends, developments, technologies, materials, and best practices; applies this knowledge to continually improve product lines and production efficiency.
- Participates in leadership meetings and provides meaningful input.
- Ensures compliance with health and safety laws, regulations, and guidelines, including EPA and OSHA requirements.
- Prepares and implements the departmental budget.
- Negotiates contracts with outside vendors.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Thorough understanding of engineering theory and design criteria.
- Thorough understanding of applied math and physics.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and delegate them when appropriate.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software used for testing and reporting.
- Proficient with computer-aided drafting (CAD) software.
- Thorough understanding of the scientific process and engineering principles.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Five or more years of experience in engineering or other related technical activities.
- One to two years of supervisory experience is preferred.
- Ability to sit at a desk for long periods of time.
- Occasional lifting up to 50 pounds as frequently as needed to move objects.
- Dexterity to write and manipulate computer keyboard and mouse, tools, and controls on office equipment.
- Body mobility to stoop, kneel, bend and reach.